The only sight in Staroe Bobreneve is the Bobrenev Monastery. Its full name is the Bobrebev Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvensky Monastery as it is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary (“Rozhdenia Bogoroditsty”). The monastery was founded in 1381 by Dmitri Donskoy after he made an oath to do so should he be victorious at the Battle of Kulikovo Field. The victorious battle took place on 8 September 1380 which is the feast of the Nativity of the Virgin, hence the dedication of the monastery. The monastery also served to defend the approach of Kolomna. Most of the monastery was rebuilt in the 1790s century when it was used as the country residence of the Archbishop of Kolomna. The monastery was closed in 1929 and allowed to fall into disrepair. It was eventually returned to the church in 1991 and subsequently underwent restoration work.
Nativity of Virgin Mary Cathedral
The monastery’s main cathedral is the Nativity of Virgin Mary Cathedral which was completed in 1790, replacing an earlier version. It was originally built with two stories but was renovated in 1830 and lost its upper floor. The main part of the building consists of an octagon on a cube structure which is attached to a bell tower, topped with a tent dome.
Our Lady of St Theodore Church
The Our Lady of St Theodore Church dates from 1861 after it was decided to knock down the old accommodation block and its attaching church and to build in its place a new church. At the same time as building the new church, new monks’ quarters were rebuilt in the monastery.
|Location||village (selo) of Staroe Bobrenevo|