The Resurrection Church was built between 1780 and 1789 to replace an older version of the church which was one of the first stone buildings in Kolomna. It was in the original version of the Resurrection Church that Dmitri Donskoy is supposed to have married Princess Yevdokia Dmitrievna of Suzdal. In the 19th century a new vestibule in the classical style was added. During the Soviet years the church was closed and turned into a sports hall, meaning that its interior was almost completely lost. Two icons previously held in the church - the 14th century Descent into Hell Icon and the 15th century Holy Trinity Icon - were saved and are now held in Moscow's Tretyakov gallery.