The original St John the Apostle's Church was a wooden church located in the kremlin. When it was burned down in the 18th century it was decided to rebuild it again in stone in the classical style, this time outside of the kremlin in its present location. Work started in 1733 but was only completed in 1756 after several breaks. The most striking feature is the church's enormous 67-metre bell tower which was completed in 1865 in the empire style. After the church was closed in 1930, many of its icons were publically burned and it was eventually used as a store for the neighbouring shops. The church was reopened in 1996.
|Location||Ploschad Dvukh Pevolyutsi, Ulitsa Oktyabrskoy Revolyutsi|