Chistopol's main cathedral and the city's most visible building is St Nicholas' Cathedral which stands on the main road into the city's historical centre close to the bank of the River Kama. The cathedral was completed in 1838 in the classical style. The central cubic structure is topped with five domes and its facades are decorated with columns. A four-tier bell tower is also built onto the cathedral. In 1927 the cathedral was closed but was briefly opened once more from 1932 to 1935 by the Renovationist Church. After 1935 the cathedral was used as a store until it was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990.
|Location||2 Ulitsa Karla Marksa|