All that remains of the fortress which marked the birth of the city of Penza are its mounds and a memorial-historical complex was opened here in 1980. The main feature is the First Settler Monument which depicts a settler in ancient Russian dress standing next to a stallion. The base of the monument features an inscription quoting the first written mention of Penza: “In the year 1663 it was ordered to build a city on the River Penza”. The viewing platform on which the settler stands opens up to views of the city and the River Sura. Also part of the complex is a canon and a reconstruction of a tower.
|Location||next to 11 Ulitsa Kirova|