Three days is of course not enough time to see all that Lake Baikal has to offer, but in this short time you will get a sense of the beauty and magic of the place, and afterwards will most likely want to come back again and again. On this trip, in addition to the lake itself, you will also visit the main sights of Irkutsk – one of the oldest cities in Siberia, which has retained many of its historical buildings.
You will visit the western part of the lake and the settlement of Listvyanka. This part of the lake is the closest to Irkutsk and has a developed infrastructure. Listvyanka is located on the lake at the source of the River Angara.
In three days you will therefore visit Irkutsk – the “Paris of Siberia”, experience the unique beauty of Lake Baikal and have the opportunity to walk along forest paths around the lake.
Irkutsk → Listvyanka → Irkutsk
Total distance of the tour: 140km
DAY1 | IRKUTSK
Arrival in Irkutsk. A guide with a sign saying will wait for you in the arrival section of Irkutsk Airport or the Railway Station, depending on your transportation.
Breakfast at a cafe.
City tour of Irkutsk - the highlights of the tour includes:
- Icebreaker Angara Museum – one of the oldest surviving icebreakers in the world. It was made in Britain and commissioned in 1900. Over the next century it served a mix of transport, labour, scientific and military needs.
- Angara Embankment – one of the favourite places for residents of Irkutsk to relax and walk. There are also several historical monuments located here, including a memorial complex dedicated to the achievements of local people during the Second World War, the Moskovskie Gates triumphal arch, a monument to Emperor Alexander III, and a monument to Yakov Pokhabov – one of the founders of Irkutsk.
- 130th Quarter - a favourite places for tourists as here many historical buildings have survived and many others have been restored giving the resemblance of a 19th century Irkutsk street. Several of the buildings of this quarter are protected as monuments of federal significance.
- Exaltation of the Cross Church - this is perhaps the most beautiful church in Irkutsk and dates from 1760. It is the only church in Siberia to retain its full 18th century interior.
Transfer to Listvyanka.
On the way you will stop at the Taltsy Museum of Wooden Architecture.
Check-in at your hotel in Listvyanka. Night in Listvyanka.
DAY2 | LISTVYANKA
Excursion around Listvyanka - the main highlights of the excursion include:
- Viewing platform over the source of the River Angara – the River Angara is 1779km long and the only river to flow from the Baikal. In the local Buryat language its name means ‘cleft’ or ‘mouth’ and was so named for its wideness which allows a lot of water to flow from the lake. In winter the source of the Angara hardly ever freezes. Situated here is the Shaman-Rock - the summit of a large rock which was flooded with the creation of the Irkutsky hydro-electric station and which has historically been an important site for performing shamanistic rituals.
- Lake Baikal Museum – the only museum in the world dedicated solely to the lake, its flora and fauna and the process of water flowing in and out of the lake. Here you can see the various life forms found in Lake Baikal in an exposition which takes the form of a large aquarium which is the height of a person. The five aquariums have a total volume of 45 cubic metres and hold examples of the fish found in Baikal as well as the celebrated seal of Baikal which is known as a nerpa. The museum also offers a unique opportunity to virtually descend the lake to its very bottom.
- Ascent of the Chersky Rock (755m) – the summit of one of the coastal hills in Listvyanka. Here there is a viewing platform from where you can enjoy spectacular panoramas of practically the whole of the southern part of Baikal. On the horizon you will see the white summit of the Khamar-Daban mountain range, below you is the source of the River Angara with the Shaman-Rock, behind you is Port Baikal and to your right you will see the Angara right up to the Irkutskskoe Reservoir.
- St Nicholas’ Church – in the beginning of the 18th century the Russian merchant Ksenofont Serebryakov found himself in a violent storm on Lake Baikal. During the storm he prayed to St Nicholas to save him, as St Nicholas has long been seen as the protector of sailors. Serebryakov survived and in 1846 erected a church on the shores of Lake Baikal dedicated to St Nicholas. The church holds icons from the 17th century.
Duration: 3 hours | Transportation: walking excursion
Free time in Listvyanka. You could spend this time walking along one of the special tourist paths around the lake or book an additional optional tour.
DAY3 | DEPARTURE IRKUTSK
Transfer to the airport or railway station.
- The tour is available in other languages upon request.
- During the high season (from May to September) and on public holidays we recommend you book in advance as Listvyanka a popular tourist destinations.
- All excursions/guided tours included in the itinerary are private which means private guides and private transport along the programme - unless otherwise stated.
- The tour is suitable for travellers with children.
- Best time to travel on this route: from the end of May to mid-September and from the end of February to end of March.
- The prices given below are for guidance only. The actual final cost of the tour will depend on availability. Hotel prices and train tickets may increase or decrease in cost depending on how much in advance you book them.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|
• COST OF THE TOUR WITH 3* HOTELS •
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|
• COST OF THE TOUR WITH 4* HOTELS •
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|
- Individual excursions according to the programme.
- Entrance tickets to the museums
- Transfers in a private car according to the programme.
- Breakfast on the day of arrival
- Accommodation in a hotel of a category of your choice, central location, standard DBL rooms with breakfast.
- 24h emergency support during the tour
- Visa support documents
- Meals (except for breakfast where stated).
- Tips for the guides and drivers.
- Optional excursions.