On the embankment of the River Vologda on the Zarechye side of Vologda, close to Oktyabrsky Bridge, is a church ensemble consisting of two churches: St Demetrius of Priluki's Church and the Dormition Church.
St Demetrius of Priluki's Church
The oldest of the two churches is St Demetrius of Priluki's Church which served as the complex's summer church, meaning it was unheated. The original stone version of the church was built in 1651, making it to the first to be built after St Sophia's Cathedral, but this was reconstructed between 1710 and 1711. It is also more traditional in style than its neigbour consisting of a cubic structure topped with five domes. Built onto the front in 1781 is a church porch with a single dome. Fragments of frescoes from the first half of the 18th century have survived inside. In 1930 the church was closed. It was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1999 and is now a podvorye (embassy church) of the Spaso-Prilutsky Monastery.
The Dormition Church served as the complex's heated winter church and was built in the baroque style between 1750 and 1759. It consists of a small single-domed structure built onto a bell tower. It too was closed in 1930 and although it has also been returned to the Orthodox Church services are not regularly held here.
|Location||119 + 121 Naberezhnaya VI Armii|