Torgovaya Ploschad (Trading Square) is located on the eastern side of the Vologda Kremlin and is so named as it was once home to the city's market and then trading rows. Two churches stand on the square, both of which are known as being located 'on the Torg'.
Intercession Church on the Torg
The Intercession Church on the Torg was built in the baroque between 1778 and 1780 replacing an earlier church which was built on the orders of Ivan the Terrible when he was in the city in the mid-16th century. The church served as the summer (unheated) church of the complex. In the 1920s the church was closed and only reopened in 1992.
Our Lady of Kazan Church on the Torg
The original Our Lady of Kazan Church on the Torg also dates from the reign of Ivan the Terrible, but the version which survives today was built between 1749 and 1760. Upon its completion it was decorated with frescos which still survive to this day, although having undergone restoration. The church was closed in the Soviet era and is currently (2014) closed for restoration work.
|Location||5 Torgovaya Ploschad|