The Spaso-Sumorin Monastery was founded in 1554 by a monk called Feodosi Sumorin from Vologda's Spaso-Prilutsky Monastery who has since been canonised as St Theodosius (Feodosi) of Totma. During Theodosius' time the monastery only had wooden churches but these were rebuilt in stone in the late 18th century and 19th century. However after the revolution the monastery was closed and many of its buildings were knocked down or allowed to fall into disrepair. Today, although the former monastery's main cathedral is once again used for worship, the monastery itself has never been reopened. Located on its territory today among the ruins are a museum and a hotel.
You can get to the former monastery in the village of Lesotekhnikuma by walking up Ulitsa Babushkina which starts by the Entry into Jerusalem Church. It takes about 15 minutes to get there.
The Spaso-Sumorin Monastery's only open place of worship is the Ascension Cathedral, in fact it is currently the only working cathedral in the whole of Totma. It was built in the classical style between 1796 and 1801. It too was closed after the Revolution but has since been reopened and fully restored. Previously the remains of St Theodosius were interred here. They were removed after the monastery was closed and, although they have since been returned to Totma, they are now held in the Nativity of Christ Church.
Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral
Immediately next to the Ascension Cathedral is the former monastery's second cathedral - the Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral. It was built in 1880 to serve as the complex's winter cathedral. The cathedral has never been reopened since it was closed along with the rest of the monastery. Today it stands in ruins without its domes.
|Location||Ulitsa Babushkina, Lesotekhnikuma|