On Vasilievsky Island: Around Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya

Stock Exchange Building

Stock Exchange Building (August 2010)

The tip of Vasilievsky Island, which is known as the Strelka, is dominated by the grand building of the Old St Petersburg Stock Exchange. It was built between 1805 and 1810 and inspired by an ancient Greek temple. The chief architect was Frenchman Thomas de Thomon. After the Revolution the Stock Exchange was closed and from 1939 the building was used to house the Central Naval Museum, which remained here up 2010 when it moved to new premises in the Kryukovy Naval Barracks.  There have since been many discussions regarding how the building should now be used. Currently there is a proposal to transfer it to the State Hermitage Museum which will establish a museum here dedicated to Russian guards and heraldry.

Location 4 Birzhevsaya Ploschad
Metro Admiralteyskaya, Sportivnaya, Vasileostrovskaya