On Vasilievsky Island: Around Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya

Academy of Art Museum

The Academy of Art was founded in 1757 by Ivan Shuvalov as the Imperial Academy of Art. Its headquarters were built on Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya between 1764 and 1772 and itself is a monument of early classical architecture. However in 1947 the headquarters were moved to Moscow, and the building's three floors are now used to hold a museum of fine art. The first floor holds art of the antique world and the second floor holds work by masters who were studied at the academy. The third floor is dedicated to the architecture of St Petersburg and includes models, paintings and plans of some of the most famous buildings in the city. Temporary exhibits are also held here and in the park outside the building are several statues of Russia's finest artists including Repin and Surikov.    

Location 17 Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya
Metro Vasilieostrovskaya
Website http://www.nimrah.ru/
Clock 11:00 - 19:00. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.