On Aptekarsky Island
St Petersburg Ioannovsky Convent was founded at the end of the 19th century by the priest Ioann, who was later canonised as St John (Ioann) of Kronstadt. It was dedicated to St John (Ioann) of Rila. Its main cathedral is the Twelve Apostles Cathedral which was built between 1900 and 1902 in the Byzantine revival architectural style. There are also two small chapels, one dedicated to St Seraphim of Sarov and a modern one dedicated to the Intercession of the Virgin Mary. In 1923 the convent was closed and many of its nuns were arrested and exiled to Kazakhstan. It was only reopened in 1989. In 1991 it was named a stauropegic convent, meaning it is subordinated directly to the patriarch.
|Location||45 Naberezhnaya Reki Karpovki|