It is not known when the Svyato-Vvsedensky Nikonovsky Monastery was founded but the first mention of a church here came in 1628. In 1666 this wooden church was replaced with a stone version which has survived to this day and is now St Nikon of Radonezh's Church. It is believed that the church stands on the site where St Nikon of Radonezh was born in 1350. The monastery's second church is the Presentation of Virgin Mary Church which was built between 1763 and 1766. The monastery was closed in the 1930s and its churches were used for baking bread, their domes being removed in the process of their conversion. In the 1990s the complex was returned to the Orthodox Church which re-established the monastery in 2001. Restoration work is continuing.
|Location||5 Kalanchevsky Pereulok|