The Dormition Church is located next to the earthen walls of the Suzdal Kremlin. It is not exactly known from when the church dates, but it is assumed to have been built in the mid-17th century to replace an earlier wooden church which was destroyed by fire. The church was damaged by the fire of 1719 and subsequently restored. In the 1920s the church was closed and its tent-dome bell tower was demolished. The church has now been returned to the Orthodox Church.