The centre of Volokolamsk is its kremlin. Although the kremlin is no longer surrounded by a stone fortress wall it still remains the highlight of a visit to Volokolamsk due to the architectural ensemble located there on the area known as Sobornaya Gorka (Cathedral Hill). Parts of the earthen mounds remain which allows one to imagine how this was once a great fortification necessary to protect Volokolamsk from raids which it suffered frequently at the hands of various enemies. During the Second World War the area of the Kremlin and its cathedrals were used by the Nazis to house Soviet prisoners of war.
The Resurrection Cathedral was built in Volokolamsk Kremlin approximately between 1480 and 1500 on the orders of Prince Boris Vasilievich of Volotsk. It is one of the finest examples of 15th century white-stone church architecture in the Moscow Region. Fragments of frescoes from the late 15th century have been preserved inside. Attached to the cathedral is a five-tiered bell tower which dates from the 18th century.
St Nicholas' Cathedral
The kremlin's second cathedral is St Nicholas' Cathedral which was built between 1853 and 1862 to honour those who fell in the Crimean War. It is a fine example of the Russian Revival architectural style. Like the neighbouring Resurrection Church it is a rather simple red-brick building with four pillars and one black dome. The cathedral was closed during the Soviet period and now holds the Volokolamsk Historical and Architectural Museum. The museum has exhibitions of the history of the Volokolamsk area from the 12th century up to the Second World War.
|Sobornaya Gorka, Ulitsa Gorval
|09:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.