The best sight Dzerzhinsky has to offer is the Nikolo-Ugreshsky Monastery which was founded in 1380 but considered to have been reborn in the 1990s and early 2000s, after having been extensively restored after the destructive years of the Soviet regime. One of the most striking features of the monastery is its interesting walls both inside and out. Be sure you don't miss the beautiful red "Palestinian" walls on the outside of the monastery.
Even before you enter the monastery through the main Holy Gates the most visible sight is the monastery's gigantic bell tower which has six tiers and stands at 79 metres. It was constructed between 1858 and 1859, had its first two tiers removed in 1941 and was finally restored to its former glory in 2003. It houses the Beheading of John the Baptist Church.
Dormition Church and Abbot's Chambers
Next to the bell tower is the Dormition Church and the Abbot's Chambers, which is the oldest surviving building on the territory of the monastery having been completed in 1763. This red church is rather simple on the outside, apart from it elaborate window frames, but inside it is decorated with a golden iconostasis and a magnificent ceiling fresco. The Abbot's Chambers now houses the monastery's two museums. The first is the Vestry Museum which displays many examples of priceless and ancient religious relics. The second is the Museum of Tsar and Passion-Bearer Nicholas II which exhibits personal belongings of the last tsar and his family
St Nicholas' Cathedral
The monastery has two cathedrals which are located next to each other. The smaller one is St Nicholas' Cathedral which is built in the traditional single dome style. The original cathedral was destroyed in the Soviet era and the current version was rebuilt between 2003 and 2006. Inside it is rather plain with white walls and simple icons.
The main cathedral is the Transfiguration Cathedral which is the largest building in the monastery and in fact the second largest cathedral by area in the Moscow Region. It was built between 1880 and 1894. The cathedral's interior has been restored and the walls are covered with modern brightly coloured frescos. Its back wall is also covered by a breath-taking golden iconostasis. Despite the fact that everything looks obviously new, it is nevertheless very impressive.
Behind the monastery's cathedrals is the pretty yellow Hospital Ward which also houses the elegant 19th century Joy of all who Sorrow Church. Here are also several dormitories for the monks which also incorporate the 19th century Our Lady of Kazan Church.
St Pimen of Ugresha's Church
At the far side of the monastery is St Pimen of Ugresha's Church, which is a simple white church with a single golden dome. It dates from the early 2000s when it was built to replace the earlier version which was destroyed in 1928. It is named after St Pimen of Ugresha who served as archimandrite of the monastery and oversaw a great deal of the building work at the monastery in the second half of the 19th century.
Ss Peter and Paul's Church
Located between the monastery's pond and orchard is the wooden Ss Peter and Paul's Church which dates from 1857. Inside, its simple wooden walls are complemented by an elaborate wooden iconostasis.
|Location||1 Ploschad Svyatitelya Nikolaya|