In the far north of the city close to the shore of Lake Galichskoe is a church complex consisting of two churches: the blue Presentation of Virgin Mary Cathedral which served as the complex's heated winter church and the pink St Basil the Great's Church which served as the unheated summer church.
The churches were built on the site of a former monastery which existed up until 1632. The older of the two churches is St Basil the Great's Church which dates from 1768 and was built in the baroque style with a main structure topped by five small domes attached via a closed vestibule to an octagonal bell tower. It was joined by the Presentation of Virgin Mary Cathedral in 1798.
Both churches were closed in the 1930s but subsequently restored in the 1990s and reopened for worship in 2002. Restoration work continues. Today the Presentation of Virgin Mary Cathedral serves as the second eparchial church of the Kostroma and Galich Eparchy.
|Location||20 Ulitsa Sverdlova Rybnaya Sloboda|