The Transfiguration Cathedral was built in 1813 to commemorate Russia's victory over Napoleon. It is built in the Russian classical style and is turquoise in colour with five golden domes and an attached bell tower. In 1923 it became the eparchial cathedral after the Trinity Cathedral was closed down and eventually destroyed. The Transfiguration Cathedral too was later closed in 1962 and from 1973 it was used as a regional museum until it was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990 and underwent reconstruction work. The cathedral now houses Belgorod's two most sacred treasures: the relics of St Iosaf (Joseph) of Belgorod who was transferred here in 1991 and the Miracle-Working Icon of St Nicholas the Warrior, which is over 500 years old.
|Location||63 Ulitsa Preobrazhenskaya|