The Our Lady of Smolensk Cathedral was built between 1727 and 1762 to commemorate a miraculous event when according to legend on the site where the cathedral now stands a copy of the Our Lady of Smolensk Icon started to emit a ray of light which could even light a candle. The pretty blue cathedral has two storeys and the main part of the church is attached via a vestibule to a tall bell tower. The cathedral suffered during the Nazi occupation of Belgorod when its bell tower was destroyed and then it survived two attempts of the Soviets to demolish it. Its bell tower was reconstructed in 1994 and the cathedral was reopened in 1996.
|Location||50 Grazhdansky Prospekt|