Aleksandrovsk-Sakhalinsky is located approximately halfway up Sakhalin, a night train’s trip from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. It was founded in the mid-19th century as a prison camp and named in honour of Emperor Alexander II. Today tourists are drawn to Aleksandrovsk-Sakhalinsky due to its connection with the famous Russian author Anton Chekhov who lived here in 1880 while researching life on what was then a prison island for his book Sakhalin Island.
|Name in Russian||Александровск-Сахалинский|
|Status||City-municipality and administrative centre of the Aleksandrovsl-Sakhalinsky District of the Sakhalin Region|
|Location||On the River Bolshaya Aleksandrovka in the middle of Sakhalin|
|Distance||561km north of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk|
|Time Zone||Vladivostok Time (Moscow +7)|
|Population||9,737 people (2014)|
|Former Names||Aleksandrovsky Post|