Sights in Rostov-Veliky

In the Historical Centre

Rostov Kremlin

  • historical centre of Rostov
  • http://rostmuseum.ru/
  • 10:00 - 17:00, daily except 1 January. Walls and churches open from 1 May to 1 October.

  Rostov's most famous sight is of course its Kremlin which is located in the very centre of the city. It was built between 1670 and 1683 on the orders of Metropolitan Iona Sysoevich of Rostov and Yaroslavl to serve as a new residence for himself.  Even though... Read more »

Khors Art Gallery

The Khors Art Gallery was set up in 1995 by enamel artist Mikhail Selischev in a wooden house under the walls of the Rostov Kremlin. The gallery comprises permanent exhibitions of the artist's enamel work and a collection of everyday items from the 19th century. In addition the... Read more »

War Memorial

  • Park Pobedy

The small park located in between Ulitsa Dekabristov and Ulitsa Kommunarov is known as Park Pobedy (Victory Park), the centrepiece of which is a monument dedicated to the Soviet victory in the Second World War and to the soldiers to Rostov who fell in that war. The white... Read more »

Saviour Church in the Trading Rows

  • Ulitsa 50 Let Oktyabrya

Built as part of the city's trading rows in the very centre of the city is the Saviour Church, known as the Saviour in the Trading Rows (Spas na Torgu) in Russian. It was built during Metropolitan Jonah's building programme between 1685 and 1690. Previously a wooden church... Read more »

Ascension Church

The Ascension Church was built in 1566 on the orders of Tsar Ivan the terrible. The church was built without any pillars and has a cross vault and an attached bell tower. The church is also known as St Isidor's Church as it is built on the tomb... Read more »

Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvensky Convent

  • 14 Ploschad Sovetskaya

The Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvsky Convent was founded by Archbishop Feodor of Rostov between 1390 and 1395 and dedicated to the Nativity (Rozhdestvo) of the Virgin Mary. As with most religious buildings in the city, the majority of the stone construction work was carried out as part of Metropolitan Iona Sysoevich's... Read more »

House of Handicrafts

A wooden house close to the shore of Lake Nero has been turned into the House of Handicrafts which is dedicated to traditional forms of Russian handicrafts, including woodcarving, lace-making, bead-weaving, glass painting, majolica, doll making and making traditional costumes. The centre also holds temporary exhibitions, offers master... Read more »

Bell Tower of the Exaltation of the Cross Church

  • Ploschad Sovetskaya

Standing on Sovetskaya Ploschad (Soviet Square) is a bell tower which is the sole surviving part of what was the Exaltation of the Cross Church. The original stone church was built between 1688 and 1692 to replace an earlier wooden version. In the mid-19th century the church was... Read more »

West of the Historical Centre

Our Lady of Tolga Church

  • Ulitsa Dekabristov

The Our Lady of Tolga Church was built in 1761 and is one of Rostov's finest examples of a parish church from the 18th century. It comprises a small pillar-less building attached to a bell tower and topped with a single grey dome. Inside it holds icons which... Read more »

Intercession Church

  • 31 Ulitsa Leninskaya

The Intercession Church was built between 1795 and 1798 in stone replacing an earlier wooden version of the church, which was destroyed by lightning. During the Soviet years the church was closed and its features were removed so it could be used as a warehouse. In 1998 it... Read more »

Museum of Rostov Merchants

The Museum of Rostov Merchants is located in the mansion which was once owned by the Kekin family who became successful merchants in Rostov by breeding and supplying hunting birds before diversifying into other forms of trade. The most famous member of the family is Aleksey Kekin who... Read more »

Spaso-Yakovlevsky Monastery

The Spaso-Yakovlevsky Monastery was founded as the Zachatievsky Monastery in approximately 1390 by Bishop Jacob (Yakov) of Rostov. After his death in 1392 Bishop Jacob was interred in a wooden church here and was later canonised as St Jacob (Yakov) of Rostov. In 1408 the monastery was burned... Read more »

East of the Historical Centre

Ss Cosmos and Damian's Church

  • Perovsky Pereulok

Ss Cosmos and Damian's Church (which is also sometimes known as the Hodegetria Icon Church) dates from 1775 and in form consists of a single domed structure attached to a tent-dome bell tower via a closed vestibule. In the 1920s the church was closed and used as a... Read more »

Avraamiev Bogoyavlensky Monastery

  • 32 Ulitsa Zhelyabovskaya

The Avraamiev Bogoyavlensky Monastery was founded in the late 11th century by St Abraham (Avraami) of Rostov when he was bishop of Rostov. According to legend a pagan idol originally stood at the site of the present monastery and St John the Apostle appeared to Abraham, gave him... Read more »

Petrovsky Monastery

  • 13 Ulitsa Leningradskaya

Rostov's Petrovsky Monastery is the smallest of the monasteries and convents in the city. It was founded in the late 13th century, according to legend by a prince of the Golden Horde who fled the Horde with Bishop Kirill of Rostov, who baptised him and gave him the... Read more »