Sights in Yuriev-Polsky

Inside the Earthen Mound

Earthen Mound

  • City centre

Yuriev-Polsky's earthen mound was created in 1152 when Yuri Dolgoruky founded the city. The mound was built for defensive purposes and reaches 7 metres high. In addition a wooden fortress once stood on top of the mound but this has not survived. Since 1920 the area has been... Read more »

Mikhailo-Arkhangelsky Monastery

  • 4 Ulitsa 1 Maya
  • 09:00 - 17:00 (Mondays: 09:00 - 14:30). Closed on Tuesdays and the last Friday of the month.

The Mikhailo-Arkhangelsky Monastery was founded sometime in the 13th century during the reign of Prince Svyatoslav Vsevolodovich of Yuriev-Polsky within the boundaries of the earthen mound and fortress. However in 1238 it was destroyed by the forces of Batu Khan during the Mongol-Tatar Invasion of Rus. It was... Read more »

Trinity Cathedral

  • 2 Muzeyny Pereulok

Located outside of the monastery, but still within the earthen mounds is the Trinity Cathedral which was built in the Russian Revival style between 1907 and 1913 next to the ancient St George's Cathedral to provide the city with a larger main cathedral able to hold over 2,000... Read more »

St George's Cathedral

  • 1 Muzeyny Pereulok
  • 09:00 - 17:00 (14:30 on Mondays). Closed on Tuesdays and the last Friday of the month.

The highlight of Yuriev-Polsky is undoubtedly St George's Cathedral which can only be described as a wonder of mediaeval Russian architecture. The first cathedral dedicated to St George was built in 1152 when Yuri Dolgoruky founded Yuriev-Polsky. However by 1230 this cathedral had fallen into disrepair and so... Read more »

Around the City

War Memorial

  • Ulitsa Pervogo Maya

Just outside the main entrance to the Mikhailo-Arkhangelsky Monastery is a memorial dedicated to the people from Yuriev-Polsky who died in the Second World War. It comprises a sculpture featuring several figures of women on one side and of soldiers on the other. The dates 1941 -1945 are... Read more »

Yuri Dolgoruky Monument

  • Sovetskaya Ploschad

Located just outside the earthen mound and fitting in wonderfully with its surroundings is a monument to the founder of Yuriev-Polsky - Yuri Dolgoruky. Yuri Dolgoruky was born around the turn of the 12th century and became the Prince of Rostov-Suzdal and then the Grand Prince of Kiev.... Read more »

Trading Rows

  • Sovetskaya Ploschad

Yuriev-Polsky's central Sovetskaya Ploschad (Soviet Square) is dominated by its beautiful trading rows which were built between 1873 and 1877, replacing an earlier version dating from the reign of Catherine the Great. Unlike most trading rows there is no courtyard, but four rows of buildings constructed out of... Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Ulitsa Vladimirskaya

Located just off Sovetskaya Ploschad (Soviet Square) is a statue of Vladimir Lenin. It depicts Lenin in a common pose wearing a long raincoat with one hand clutching at the lapel and one hand in his pocket. One nice feature is that behind the statue is a semi-circle... Read more »

Ensemble of Intercession Church and St Nicetas' Church

  • intersection of Ulitsa Naberezhnaya and Ulitsa Pokrovskaya

This church ensemble comprises two churches and a bell tower. The larger of the churches is the Intercession Church which dates from 1769 and consists of a white four-pillar structure with five blue domes. The church holds inside the relics of Prince Svyatoslav Vsevolodovich of Yuriev Polsky which... Read more »

Svyato-Vvedensky Nikonovsky Monastery

  • 5 Kalanchevsky Pereulok

It is not known when the Svyato-Vvsedensky Nikonovsky Monastery was founded but the first mention of a church here came in 1628. In 1666 this wooden church was replaced with a stone version which has survived to this day and is now St Nikon of Radonezh's Church. It... Read more »

Ensemble of Nativity of Christ Church and Ss Boris and Gleb's Church

  • opposite 5 Avangardsky Pereulok

The Nativity of Christ Church dates from the early 18th century and serves as this church ensemble's 'cold' church, meaning it was not heated and only used in summer. Originally it was dedicated to Ss Cosmas and Damian but rededicated in the late 19th century. In form it... Read more »

Ascension Church

  • 35 Ulitsa Pervogo Maya

Standing on the opposite side of the road to the bell tower of the former Petropavlovsky Convent is the Ascension Church which was built in 1780 as a cemetery church. In form it comprises a two-storey structure with a single dome attached to a vestibule. In 1840 a... Read more »

Ruins of the Petropavlovsky Convent

  • 74 Ulitsa Pervogo Maya

The Petropavlovsky Convent was founded as a monastery in the mid-17th century. This monastery was dissolved in 1764 but subsequently reopened as a convent in 1874. In the 1920s the convent was closed and its buildings fell into disrepair. Now the most striking feature is the bell tower... Read more »