Zvenigorod is one of the oldest cities in the Moscow Region and is known for its beautiful hilly landscapes on the River Moskva and as such it is a popular location for dachas and sanatoria. It was first mentioned in the will of Grand Prince Ivan Kalita in 1339, but it is known to have existed as a fortified settlement since at least the 12th century. There is a legend that it was founded by Grand Prince Yury Dolgoruky.
Zvenigorod is almost famous for its historical buildings of significant cultural heritage. The Dormition Cathedral still has fragments of frescos by Andrey Rublev inside and three of its original icons are now held in Moscow's Tretyakov Gallery. The site where the cathedral stands was once the city's kremlin where the prince had his court.
The city is also home to one of the most beautiful monasteries in Russia - the Savinno-Storozhevsky Monastery, which was founded by a disciple of St Sergius of Radonezh in 1398. The monastery became a favourite destination of the tsars, including Ivan the Terrible (who brought icons from the monastery to the Moscow Kremlin), Tsar Feodor I and, most famously, Tsar Alexis. During the Time of Troubles the monastery was occupied by the Polish and Maryna Mniszech visited with her father.
Total distance of the tour: 130km
• 09:00 •
Departure for Zvenigorod: your guide will meet you where you are staying with a sign saying . It takes about 1 hour, depending on traffic, to get to Zvenigorod.
• 10:00 •
Excursion around the Zvenigorod Gorodok. This excursion includes a visit to:
- Dormition Cathedral (14th century) – one of just four ancient cathedrals in the Moscow Region. It is a traditional white stone four-pillar building which is characteristic of early Moscow church architecture. Fragments of frescos painted by Andrey Rublev and Daniil Chyorny have survived inside the cathedral.
• 11:30 •
Excursion around the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery. The highlights of the excursion:
- Nativity of Virgin Mary Cathedral (1405) – another of the four ancient cathedrals in the Moscow Region
- Tsaritsa's Chambers (1654) – originally built for the wife of Tsar Alexis, the chambers are now used to hold museum exhibits.
- Palace of Tsar Alexis (1676) – built for Tsar Alexis who frequently visited the monastery on pilgrimage.
• 13:00 •
Free time in the monastery: you can walk around, buy souvenirs and have lunch or a snack at the monastery cafe.
• 14:30 •
Departure for Moscow.
• ~16:00 •
Arrival in Moscow.
- The tour is available the whole year round.
- Optional excursions should be booked before the start of the tour.
- Some religious sights such as active monasteries require a specific dress code in order to be allowed to visit - for women a scarf to cover your head and a skirt covering your knees (no trousers); for men no shorts and all headwear must be removed.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
(with respect to the date of the departure)
(with respect to the total price of the tour)
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|
|Arkhangelskoe Estate tour|
Arkhangelskoe is one of the best preserved estate complexes around Moscow. The estate is a palace and park complex dating from the end of the 18th century. It has three parks of various styles: the Italian park has luxurious marble pillar terraces and statues, the French park has closed galleries and trees and hedges trimmed into various geometric shapes, while the English park has ancient trees.
The estate was owned by the Yusupov family and many famous figures of Russian culture as well as members of the imperial family were guests here. The Grand Palace, which dates from the 1880s, features the famous Yusupov library and picture gallery. An excursion here is a great addition to a tour of Zvenigorod as it is located on the way.
Please note: the Palace is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Duration: 2 hours | Transportation: by a private car
|Vadim Zadorozny Museum of Technical Equipment|
This is a unique private collection of cars, planes, helicopters, armoured vehicles, missile systems and other equipment, covering a territory of over 10,000 square metres. There are even cars here which were once used by Hitler, Stalin, Yeltsin, Gagarin, Gorbachev and Patriarch Pimen. All in all it makes for a rather interesting museum.
Please note: museum is closed on Mondays
Duration: 2 hours | Transporttion: by a private car