Sergiev Posad is home to the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra (Trinity Lavra of St Sergius) - the main monastery in Russia - and is a must-see sight near Moscow. Although you can go there by yourself by suburban train or bus using our comprehensive guide, we can also organise this trip for you.
During the excursion, you will learn about the life of the founder of the monastery - St Sergius of Radonezh, one of the most revered Russian saints; about the history of the monastery associated with key events in Russian history and about other well-known figures of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian state connected with Sergiev Posad.
The tour includes transportation to Sergiev Posad and back on a private car from your hotel, and an excursion in English, French or German with a local guide. It is also possible to have this excursion with one of our guides and, although this make your trip more expensive, in this manner you will learn much more about Russia, Sergiev Posad and the sights around.
The excursion can be extended to include Abramtsevo - the estate where many Russian artists worked.
Moscow → Sergiev Posad → Moscow
Total distance of the tour: 140km
• 09:00 •
Departure from the hotel. A driver with a sign saying will wait for you at the lobby of your hotel or place where you stayed. The journey can take up to 2 hours depending on traffic.
• 11:00 •
Guided tour around the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra – this includes a visit to three of its churches:
- Trinity Cathedral (1422) – a masterpiece of Russian architecture and the oldest surviving building inside the monastery. It is here that the relics of St Sergius are held. The cathedral’s ancient iconostasis also holds icons with were painted by Andrey Rublev and his pupils.
- Dormition Cathedral (1559-1585) – built on the orders and using the donations of Ivan the Terrible taking the Moscow Kremlin’s Dormition Cathedral as an example.
- St Sergius’ Church and Refectory (1686-1692) - here you will see the stunning Moscow-baroque style interior which is considered to have one of the most beautiful carved iconostases in Russia.
After the excursion, you will have an extra 2 hours to walk around the monastery and the city, have lunch and buy souvenirs. You can also visit the Museum of Toys which is located not far from the monastery.
• 14:00 •
Departure from Sergiev Posad.
• ~15:30 •
Arrival in Moscow.
- The tour is available the whole year round.
- Optional excursions should be booked before the start of the tour.
- Some religious sights such as active monasteries require a specific dress code in order to be allowed to visit - for women a scarf to cover your head and a skirt covering your knees (no trousers); for men no shorts and all headwear must be removed.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
(with respect to the date of the departure)
(with respect to the total price of the tour)
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|
On the way back you can visit the Abramtsevo Estate – a artistic commune for Russian intellectuals (mainly painters) including Vasily Polenov, Viktor Vasnetsov, Ilya Repin, Valentin Serov, Konstantin Korovin, Mikhail Vrubel and others. The estate is also famous for its architecture - the manor house (1760s) – a monument of Russian wooden classicism, the Studio Workshop (1874) - a monument of the traditional Russian style’, the banya mansion (1878), the Saviour’s Church (1881-1882) - an early monument to the Russian Revival style designed by artists Viktor Vasnetsov and Vasily Polenov; plus the "Hut on Chicken Legs" (1883) also designed by Vasnetsov based on Russian fairy-Tales.
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|
The price is in addition to the price of the excursion to Sergiev Posad and includes 2 hours stop (without excursion) in Abramtsevo estate on the way from Sergiev Posad to Moscow. Museums of the estate are closed on Mondays and Tuesday, park is open daily.
• TRIP TO THE ABRAMTSEVO ESTATE •