Sights in Kargopol

Around the City

Trinity Church

  • Oktyabrsky Prospekt

In the north-west of the city, just behind the bus station, is the Trinity Church.  It was built between 1790 and 1802, originally as a five-domed church.  After a fire in 1878 restoration work was carried out which saw the original five domes being replaced with a single... Read more »

Bereginya Centre of Folk Handicrafts

In 1993 the Bereginya Centre of Folk Handicrafts was established in Kargopol to protect an teach people about traditional Russian, and in particular Northern Russian, handicrafts.  The name Bereginya comes from the female spirits of Slavic folklore.  The centre is located in a protected early-19th century white-stone building... Read more »

Valushki Earthen Mounds

  • Ulitsa Arkhangelskaya

On the other side of the road to the bus station and the Trinity Church, between Ulitsa Arkhangelskaya and Ulitsa Krasny Posad, are all small earthen mounds which are all that remains of Kargopol's mediaeval fortress.  The mounds are known as Valushki in Russian which can be translated... Read more »

Resurrection Church

  • Ulitsa 3-go Internatsionala

In many other provincial cities, Kargopol's Resurrection Church would likely be the highlight of church architecture, but in Kargopol it is rather overshadowed by the main church complex in the city centre.  Although the church was built in the late 17th century it if of a much older... Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Ivanovskaya Ploschad

Standing at the end of the rather dull concrete central square that is Ivanovskaya Ploschad is Kargopol's Lenin statue.  Here Lenin is carved out of white stone and standing in front of a wooden shop.  To the right of the statue is the city administration building.... Read more »

Church Complex on Sobornaya Ploschad

  • Sobornaya Ploschad
  • http://www.karmuseum.ru/
  • 11:00 - 18:00 (break from 14:00 - 15:00). Closed on Mondays.
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (break from 13:00 - 14:00). Closed on Mondays.

The main square in Kargopol is known as Sobornaya Ploschad which translates as Cathedral Square, precisely because the city's main cathedral, along with two other churches, is located here.  Two of the buildings are now museums run by the Kargopol Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve. St John the Baptist's Church The... Read more »

Aleksandr Baranov Monument

  • Park on Naberezhnaya imeni Baranova

In the small park between the Nativity of Christ Cathedral and the city beach on the River Onega is a simple monument to Aleksandr Baranov.  Baranov was born in Kargopol in 1746 and went on to become a successful trader in Siberia and then in Russian America, eventually... Read more »

Museum Courtyard

The classical style house on the corner of Oktyabrsky Prospekt and Ulitsa Gagarina is known as the Blokhin house after its former owner.  In 1995 it was transferred to the Kargopol Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve which now uses the building as its headquarters.  Although no permanent exhibits are... Read more »

Exhibition Centre

In 2009 the grand early-20th century building on the corner of Ulitsa Lenina and Ulitsa Bolotnikova was given to the Kargopol Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve, which now uses it as an exhibition hall.  It consists of two floors each with two halls.  The exhibition centre has expositions of... Read more »

Church Ensemble on Blagoveschenskaya Ploschad

  • Blagoveschenskaya Ploschad

Situated on the square between Ulitsa Lenina, Oktyabrsky Prospekt, Ulitsa Krasnoarmeyskaya and Ulitsa Sergeeva, which was previously called both Blagoveschenskaya Ploschad (Annunciation Square) or Staraya Torgovaya Ploschad (Old Trading Square) is a church ensemble consisting of three beautiful churches. Annunciation Church The biggest of the three churches here is the... Read more »

Vager House

The impressive wooden house close to the intersection of Oktryabrsky Prospekt and Ulitsa Onezhskaya is known as the Vager House as it was built in the early 20th century for the timber merchant Andreas Vager.  The house consists of a one-story structure with four identical mezzanines and a... Read more »

Ss Zosimas and Sabbatius' Church

Away from Kargopol's other chuches, Ss Zosimas and Sabbatius' Church is situated close to the start of Oktyabrsky Prospekt.  It was built between 1814 and 1819 using funds donated by a successful St Petersburg merchant who originally came from Kargopol.  It is dedicated to Ss Zosimas and Sabbatius... Read more »

Medvezhy Krai Eco-Park

On the very southern outskirts of Kargopol next to a pine forest is an exhibition eco-park known as Medvezhy Krai - Bear Land.  However the only bears found here are ones carved out of wood.  The bears are joined by many more sculptures of animals and fairy-tale characters,... Read more »

Lake Lacha

  • 4km south of Kargopol

Kargopol is located just north of where the River Onega flows out of Lake Lacha.  From the Medvezhy Krai Eco-Park it is around 4km to get to a small beach on the lake. However as the eco-park itself is rather far from the city centre, it is probably... Read more »

In Saunino

St John Chrysostom's Church in Saunino

  • village of Saunino

The Russian North is famous for its wooden churches and there are several fine examples dotted around the Kargopol District.  By far the easiest one to visit is St John Chrysostom's Church in the village of Saunino, which is located around 6.5km from the centre of Kargopol.  The... Read more »

In Lyadiny

Lyadinsky Pogost

  • 40km west of Kargopol

While in Kargopol you may see pictures of the Lyadinsky Pogost consisting of two beautiful wooden churches - the mid-18th century Intercession Church and the late-18th century Epiphany Church.  This sight was probably the most impressive of the wooden churches located around Kargopol, however sadly on Easter Day... Read more »