The Kirillo-Afansievsky Monastery was founded in 1616 in commemoration of the city's liberation from the Polish interventionists during the Time of Troubles and shortly afterwards wooden churches were built here to house an icon to which the citizens and the volunteer army prayed. In the second half of the 17th century these wooden churches were rebuilt in stone and the monastery's two churches - the Ss Cyril and Athanasius' Church and the Miracle-Image of the Saviour Church - date from this period. The monastery was closed in 1925 and only returned to the Church 80 years later. The monastery is in a rather dilapidated condition and is currently undergoing reconstruction work.
|Location||17 Ploschad Chelyuskintsev (off Bulvar Mira)|