Sights in Yaroslavl

Around Bogoyavlenskaya Ploschad

Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery (Yaroslavl Museum-Reserve)

  • 25 Bogoyavlenskaya Ploschad
  • http://www.yarmp.yar.ru
  • May-September: Territory - 08:00 - 20:00. Museums - 10:00 -18:00. October-April: Territory - 08:30 - 18:00. Museums: 10:00 - 17:30. Closed on the first Wednesday of each even month and museums closed on Mondays and other specific days.

It is not known exactly when the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery was founded, but it is believed to date from the early 13th century, having been established by Prince Konstantin of Yaroslavl, shortly before construction work was started on the Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral. It was built on the... Read more »

Prince Yaroslav the Wise Monument

  • Bogoyavlenskaya Ploschad

Standing in the very centre of Bogoyavlenskaya Ploschad (Epiphany Square) surrounded by traffic is a statue of the city's founder - the 11th century Prince Yaroslavl the Wise. Yaroslav was Prince of Rostov when he founded Yaroslavl but went on to become Grand Prince of Kiev after he... Read more »

Epiphany Church

  • Bogoyavlenskaya Ploschad

The Epiphany Church is another famous example of 17th century Yaroslavl architecture. It was built between 1684 and 1693 on the orders of local merchant Aleksey Zubchaninov. It was the first church in the city to be built without internal pillars. Built out of red bricks, it is... Read more »

Around the Rubleny Gorod

Embankments

  • Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya and Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya

The embankments along the Kotorosl and the Volga are known as Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya and Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya respectively and they meet at confluence of the rivers at the start of Bulvar Mira. They are pleasant just to walk along although several museums and churches are also located here. Also found... Read more »

Our Lady of Kazan Chapel

  • Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya, opposite the Holy Gates of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery

The Our Lady of Kazan Chapel is both a simple chapel and a rather elegant monument to the People's Army of Minin and Pozharsky who liberated Moscow from the Poles in 1612. It is located opposite the Holy Gates of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery from where the army set... Read more »

Archangel Michael's Church

  • 67 Ulitsa Pervomaiskaya

The current version of Archangel Michael's Church was constructed between 1657 and 1682. Previously a wooden version was constructed by Grand Prince Konstantin of Vladimir and Rostov in 1216 which in turn was replaced on the orders of Princess Anna of Yaroslavl (the Tatar wife of Prince Fyodor... Read more »

Transfiguration of the Saviour Church in the City

  • 3 Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya

The Transfiguration of the Saviour Church is often referred to as the Saviour in the City (Spas-na-Gorody) to distinguish it from the Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral located in the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery. It was built in 1672 using St John Chrysostom’s Church at Korovniki as a guide. In... Read more »

St Nicholas’ Church in Rubleny Gorod

  • 8 Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya

This church is known as St Nicholas' Church in Rubleny Gorod to differentiate it from other churches dedicated to St Nicholas in the city. It was completed in 1695 and was originally located within the Yaroslav Kremlin. In form the white church has a tall building topped with... Read more »

Millennium of Yaroslavl Park

  • far end of the Stelka

In the run up to Yaroslavl's 2010 millennium celebrations, a park was created at the end of the Strelka formed where the Kotorosl flows into the Volga. Musical fountains were installed in the park which are especially pretty in the evening when they are lit up. At the... Read more »

Dormition Eparchial Cathedral

  • Ploschad Chelyuskintsev, 2A Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya

Construction of the very first stone cathedral dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary was started in 1215 by Prince Konstantin Vsevolodovich of Yaroslavl on the territory of the Yaroslavl Kremlin on the Strelka. It was consecrated in 1219 and was a cathedral for the Bishop of... Read more »

Holy Trinity Sculpture

  • Bulvar Mira (in between Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya and Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya)

In 1995 in the park where once the altar of the Dormition Cathedral once stood, a sculpture was unveiled dedicated to the Holy Trinity. In its design it is obviously inspired by the famous Trinity Icon by Andrey Rublev for the similarity between the poses of the three... Read more »

Department of Ancient Russian Culture of the Yaroslavl Museum of Art (Metropolitan’s Chambers)

  • 1 Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya
  • http://artmuseum.yar.ru
  • 10:00 - 18:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Tuesday of the month.

The Metropolitan’s Chambers were built next to the Dormition Cathedral in the 1680s under the building programme of Metropolitan Jonah (Iona) Sysoevich of Yaroslavl and Rostov, who was responsible for constructing many religious buildings throughout the Yaroslavl Region. In 1767 Empress Catherine the Great stayed here during her... Read more »

War Memorial and Eternal Flame

  • Bulvar Mira (in between Pochtovaya Ulitsa and Volzhsky Spusk)

Yaroslavl's Second World War memorial was opened in 1968 and is made up of two large stone plinths: one with an engraving of a soldier and one with an engraving of a woman, representing the heroes of the front and the heroes of labour respectively. A eternal flame... Read more »

St Elijah the Prophet and St Tikhon's Church

  • 5 Volzhskaya Naberezhaya

This church was built on the site of an ancient church dedicated to St Elijah the Prophet, which in turn was said to be built where a pagan temple once stood before Prince Yaroslav the Wise founded Yaroslavl. The current church dates from 1831 and is dedicated to... Read more »

Volzhskaya (Arsenalnaya) Tower

  • 2A Volzhskaya Naberezhaya

The Volzhskaya Tower is one of the two towers which represent all that is left of Yaroslavl's 17th century fortification walls which once surrounded the whole historical centre. The tower was built between 1658 and 1669 near to the bank of the River Volga after which it is... Read more »

History of Yaroslavl Museum

The History of Yaroslavl Museum was opened in 1999 inside the baroque-style mansion of the Vakhrameev family. Much of the interior of the merchant's mansion has been preserved. The museum's exhibitions tell of the history of the ancient city and display findings from archaeological digs, icons of the... Read more »

Yaroslavl Museum of Art

  • 23 Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya
  • http://artmuseum.yar.ru
  • 10:00 - 18:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Tuesday of the month. Grounds open from May to October.

The Yaroslavl Museum of Art was founded in 1919 and its main exhibitions are located in an early-19th century house which once served as the residence of the governor. The museum has one of the largest art collections in Russia. As well as holding temporary exhibitions, Russian works... Read more »

St Nicholas Nadeina’s Church

  • 2 Narodny Pereulok
  • http://www.yarmp.yar.ru
  • 09:00 – 16:00. Closed on Wednesdays, Thursdays, rainy days and from 1 October to 1 May.

This church was built between 1620 and 1622 making it the oldest church outside of the old kremlin and the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery. It was built using the funds of the merchant Nadey Sveshnikov, hence its name to distinguish it from the other churches in the city dedicated to... Read more »

Nativity of Christ Church

  • 1 Ulitsa Kedrova

The Nativity of Christ Church was the second church to be built outside of the kremlin and the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery, dating from 1644. Originally a wooden church stood here which in 1609 received a revered copy of the Our Lady of Kazan Icon during the Time of Troubles.... Read more »

'Music and Time' Museum

The 'Music and Time' Museum is one of the first privately owned museums in post-Soviet Russia having been opened in 1993 by local collector, actor and magician John Mostoslavky. On display at the museum are musical instruments, gramophones, records, icons, samovars, clocks, irons and bells.... Read more »

Nikolai Nekrasov Monument

  • intersection of Pervomaiskaya Ulitsa and Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya

Nikolai Nekrasov (1821-1877) was a Russian poet who was born in Nemyriv in Ukraine but grew up at his father's estate in Greshnevo near Yaroslavl and later studied in Yaroslavl and bought the Karanika estate near Yaroslavl where he spent many summers. This monument to him includes a... Read more »

Church Ensemble of Annunciation Church and Ascension Church

  • 51 Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya

At the top of Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya, just past the River Port, is a church ensemble comprising two churches: the Annunciation Church which is used in summer months and the Ascension Church which is used in winter months. The oldest of the two is the Annunciation Church which dates... Read more »

Around the Zemlyanoy Gorod

Kirillo-Afanasievsky Monastery

  • 17 Ploschad Chelyuskintsev (off Bulvar Mira)

The Kirillo-Afansievsky Monastery was founded in 1616 in commemoration of the city's liberation from the Polish interventionists during the Time of Troubles and shortly afterwards wooden churches were built here to house an icon to which the citizens and the volunteer army prayed. In the second half of... Read more »

Demidov Column

  • Demidovsky Skver, Bulvar Mira

Located in the small park on Demidov Square (Demidovsky Skver) is a column dedicated to Pavel Demidov, who in 1803 founded Yaroslavl's Demidov Academy of Higher Sciences, now known as the Yaroslavl Demidov State University. Originally the column was erected in 1829 but this was taken down for... Read more »

Memorial to the Victims of the 1918 Uprising

  • Demidovsky Skver, Bulvar Mira

In 1918 Yaroslavl was the scene of a large uprising against Soviet power which was successful in capturing strategic buildings in the city and arresting Bolsheviks stationed there.  The uprising was violently supressed by the Red Army who surrounded the city, cut its supplies and started bombarding it... Read more »

St Elijah the Prophet's Church

According to legend the first church in Yaroslavl was dedicated to St Elijah as it was on this saint's feast day that Yaroslav the Wise killed the bear and conquered the area. This version of the church was built between 1647 and 1650 and is now one of... Read more »

Aleksandr Nevsky’s Chapel

  • 8 Ulitsa Andropova

This pretty chapel was built in 1892 and in honour of the miraculous salvation of the tsar and his family when the imperial train crashed near Borki in 1888 . It consists of a small ‘octagon on a cube’ bell tower and a tent-dome covering the entrance, all... Read more »

Ulitsa Kirova Pedestrian Street

  • Ulitsa Kirova (and Deputatsky Pereulok)

Ulitsa Kirova runs from Sovetskaya Ploschad (Soviet Square), where the St Elijah the Prophet Church stands, to the Vlasievskaya Tower. Half of this street, along with Deputatsky Pereulok, is a pedestrian zone and the main touristic street in Yaroslavl, with shops, places to eat and several souvenir stalls.... Read more »

Presentation of the Lord Church

  • 4 Deputatsky Pereulok

The Presentation of the Lord Church was built between 1891 and 1895 in the Russian Revival style and is decorated with beautiful patterns made out of brick which were a common feature of ancient Russian churches, especially in Yaroslavl. The church is topped with a tall tent dome.... Read more »

Vlasievskaya (Znamenskaya) Tower and Our Lady of the Sign Chapel

  • 2A Pervomaiskaya Ulitsa

Vlasievskaya Tower is one of only two towers which are all that remain of the 16th-century fortified wall which once surrounded the historical centre. It is named after St Blaise (Vlasi in Russian) and was built in stone between 1658 and 1659. It served as one of the... Read more »

Kazansky Convent

  • 20 Ulitsa Trefoleva

The Kazansky Convent was founded in 1610 on the site of a monastery which was destroyed earlier during the Time of Troubles. It was named after its most sacred relic - a 16th century copy of the Our Lady of Kazan Icon. The convent's Our Lady of Kazan... Read more »

Ss Peter and Fevronia of Murom Monument

  • Pervomaisky Bulvar

Ss Peter and Fevronia of Murom are most often identified as Prince Davyd Yurievich of Murom and his wife, who took the names of Peter (Pyotr) and Fevronia upon becoming a monk and nun respectively. Shortly afterwards both died on the same day in 1228. They have since... Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument and Watchtower

  • Red Square (Krasnaya Ploschad)

Yaroslavl's Lenin Monument depicts the Leader of the October Revolution looking and pointing into the distance. To the left of Lenin is the red and yellow fire station watchtower which was built in the early 19th century. The watchtower was used right up until 1974 and the building... Read more »

Away from the Historical Centre

Museum of Military Glory

Yaroslavl's Museum of Military Glory was opened in 1981 on the 40th anniversary of the formation of the Yaroslavl 234th infantry division and is a filial of the Yaroslavl Museum-Reserve. The museum is dedicated to the Soviet Victory during the Second World War and has on display weapons... Read more »

Our Lady of Vladimir Church

  • 44 Ulitsa Rybinskaya

The Our Lady of Vladimir Church is often referred to as the church on the Bozhedomke from the Russian word bozhedom which literally means God's house and was a burial ground for homeless people and people who had drowned. The church was built between 1670 and 1678 and... Read more »

Ensemble of Ascension Church and Presentation of the Lord Church

  • 44 Ulitsa Svobody

On Ulitsa Svobody there is a church ensemble comprising two churches: the Ascension Church which is used in summer months and the Presentation of the Lord Church which is used in winter months. The more impressive of the two churches is the Ascension church which was built between... Read more »

South of the River Kotorosyl

Church Ensemble at Korovniki

  • 2 Portovaya Naberezhnaya

The church ensemble located in the part of Yaroslavl historically known as Korovnitskaya Sloboda comprises two red-brick churches with green domes similar in style.  It is considered one of the best examples of the Yaroslavl-style of architecture. The larger of the two churches is St John Chrysostom’s Church... Read more »

Beheading of St John the Baptist Church at Tolchkov

  • 69 2-ya Zakotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya
  • http://www.yarmp.yar.ru/
  • 10:00 – 17:00. Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays, rainy days and from 1 October to 1 May.

Yaroslavl is so rich in church architecture that is it difficult to rate the various churches, but the Beheading of St John the Baptist Church at Tolchkov would most certainly be near to the top of the list. Only part of its attraction is due to the fact... Read more »

Church Ensemble at Tolchkov

  • 72 Ulitsa Bolshaya Fedorovskaya

Also located in the former Tolkovskaya Sloboda is a church ensemble comprising the Our Lady of St Theodore Cathedral and the St Nicholas Pensky's Church. The cathedral was built between 1682 and 1687 and is famous for its massive green domes. From 1987 to 2010 the cathedral served... Read more »

Ss Peter and Paul's Church

  • 25 Ulitsa Zelentsovskaya, Petropavlovsky Park

Located in Petropavlovsky Park is Ss Peter and Paul's church which is unique among Yaroslavl's churches as it was constructed in the architectural style known as Petrine baroque. It was built between 1736 and 1742 and comprises an enormous blue two-storey building with a tall bell tower built... Read more »

Tolga

Svyato-Vvedensky Tolgsky Convent

In 1314 Bishop Propkhor (also known as Trifon) of Rostov founded the Tolgsky Monastery on the banks of the River Volga in the village of Tolga which has since been incorporated into Yaroslavl. It was founded on the site where an icon of the Virgin Mary and the... Read more »