Sights in Tula

Around Ulitsa Sovetskaya

Tula Kremlin

  • 8 Ulitsa Mendeleevskaya
  • http://www.arms-museum.tula.ru/
  • Kremlin: 09:00 – 17:00. Closed Mondays and the last Tuesday of the month.
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (10:00 - 19:00 on weekends). Closed on Mondays and the last Tuesday of the month.

Undoubtedly the most famous sight in Tula is its 16th century Kremlin which is located in the very centre of the city. In 1507 Grand Prince Vasili III of Rus set about strengthening the city's defences as the increasing number of Tatar raids from the south made Tula... Read more »

Tula Samovar Museum

  • 8A Ulitsa Mendeleevskaya
  • 10:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays, Tuesday and the last Wednesday of the month.

The Tula Samovar Museum was opened in 1990 to celebrate Tula's association with the samovar - the famous Russian water boiler for tea. The museum is housed in an early 20th century building close to the kremlin and consists of three halls. The first has exhibitions on samovar... Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Ploschad Lenina

Tula's Central Square is Ploschad Lenina (Lenin Square) which stands outside the kremlin in between Ulitsa Mendeleevskaya and Ulitsa Sovetskaya. It is here that the city's main events and celebrations are held and of course the square is decorated with a statue of Vladimir Lenin. Lenin stands in... Read more »

Former Uspensky Convent

  • 15 Ulitsa Mendeleevskaya

Just outside the kremlin is the former Uspensky Convent and although it was dissolved as a convent during the Soviet era, its cathedral and church are still open for worship.   Dormition Cathedral The main building of the former convent is the Dormition Cathedral, which is now an Eparchial Cathedral for... Read more »

Regional Museum

  • 68 Ulitsa Sovetskaya
  • 10:00 – 17:00 (10:00 – 14:00 on Saturdays). Closed on Sundays and the last Wednesday of the month.

Tula’s Regional Museum was opened in 1919 from the collection of the Chamber of Antiquities and then increased with items confiscated from estates. It includes displays on archaeology, palaeontology, coins and the history and nature of Tula lands. It also exhibits documents and items connected with famous Tula... Read more »

St Nicholas' Church on the Rzhavets

  • 6B Ulitsa Revolyutsi

This church dedicated to St Nicholas is called 'on the Rzhavets' after the name of a stream which flowed here before the area dried up. The church dates from 1749 when it was built in stone to replace an older wooden version. It comprised a small cube building... Read more »

Annunciation Church

  • 1 Blagoveschenskaya Ulitsa

The Annunciation Church is the oldest surviving church in the city and dates from 1692 when it was built using donations including from Tsars Ivan V and Peter the Great. In form it is a 'ship-like' church with the main building, topped with five green domes and decorated... Read more »

St Elijah the Prophet’s Church

  • 6 Ulitsa Kominterna

St Elijah the Prophet’s Church was built from 1739 to 1760 to replace an older church which once stood here. It comprises a two storey building topped with a small dome and a prominent facade in the Russian revival style. Between 1924 and 1943 it served as the... Read more »

Ss Florus and Laurus' Church

  • 1 Ulitsa Mosina

Where the Ss Florus and Laurus' Church now stands there used to be a wooden church which had workers from the armaments factory as its parishioners. Construction of the current church was started in 1772 and it was consecrated in 1796. It is an example of the baroque... Read more »

Sergei Mosin Monument

  • Skver Tulskogo Oruzheynogo Zavoda (intersection of Ulitsa Sovetskaya and Ulitsa Metallistov)

Sergei Mosin was a 19th century military engineer who upon graduating from the Mikhailov Military Artillery Academy in 1875 moved to Tula to work in its arsenal. Mosin worked in Tula up until 1894 and it was here he earned his name as a developer of rifles. This... Read more »

Emperor Peter the Great Monument

  • Ulitsa Sovetskaya (just before bridge across the Ula)

This monument to Emperor Peter the Great was unveiled in 1912 to mark the 200th anniversary of Peter the Great issuing his edict to establish an arms factory in Tula for the production of weapons. The statue stands outside the administration of the Tula Arsenal (known as TOZ... Read more »

Levsha Monument

  • Ulitsa Sovetskaya (just before bridge across the Ula)

This interesting monument was unveiled in 2007 and depicts the hero of Nikolai Leskov's The Tale of Cross-Eyed Levsha from Tula and the Steel Flea. In this story Levsha (meaning left-handed) is one of the gunsmiths ordered by Emperor Nicholas I to create something more impressive that a... Read more »

Around Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya

Tula State Museum of Weapons (New Building)

  • 2 Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya
  • http://www.museum-arms.ru/
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (10:00 - 19:00 on Fridays and Saturdays). Closed on the last Monday of the month.

The Tula State Museum of Weapons, which itself was founded in 1724 upon the orders of Emperor Peter the Great to exhibit ancient and rare examples of weapons and in 1984 it was moved to the Epiphany Cathedral inside the Tula Kremlin.  After the fall of the Soviet... Read more »

Nikita Demidov Monument

  • 12 Oruzheyny Pereulok

In 1996 a monument was erected outside St Nicholas Zaretskaya's Church dedicated to Nikita Demidov, whose son had the church built.  Nikita Demidov was the founder of the famous arms manufacturing dynasty and the statue depicts him bear-chested with swords and a canon.... Read more »

St Nicholas Zaretskaya’s Church

  • 12 Oruzheyny Pereulok

St Nicholas Zaretskaya’s Church, which is also known as the Resurrection of Christ Church, was built between 1730 and 1734 in the St Petersburg baroque style. The construction was funded by the industrialist Akinfi Demidov as several years earlier his father, the famous arms manufacturer Nikita Demidov, was... Read more »

Ascension Church

  • 12 Ulitsa Gertsena

A church dedicated to the Ascension of Christ has stood in this spot since at least 1646, the original version being made out of wood. The current version was built between 1755 and 1787. The church has two stories with the upper floor being dedicated to the Presentation... Read more »

Tula Exotarium

  • 26 Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya
  • http://www.tulazoo.ru
  • 10:00 - 20:00 May-September, 10:00 - 18:00 October-April; Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

The Tula Exotarium is a zoo for exotic animals, mainly amphibians, tortoises, crocodiles, lizards and snakes but also some insects, birds and mammals too. It was opened in 1987 and has since gathered one of the largest collections of snakes in the world and has had some success... Read more »

Nativity of Virgin Mary Church

  • 56A Ulitsa Demidovskaya

The Nativity of Virgin Mary Church was built in the late 18th century and early 19th century replacing an older church that stood here. The single domed church was built in the classical style using red-bricks and its façade is decorated with a pediment and columns. In the... Read more »

Tula Pryanik Museum

  • 45A Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya
  • 09:00 - 17:00

Another product for which Tula is famous is the pryanik spiced-bread which usually contains a sweet filling. This museum dedicated to the treat was opened in 1996 in a building which was once owned by the Lyalin family of arms and samovar manufacturers and now is used to... Read more »

St Sergius of Radonezh' Church

  • 78 Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya

St Sergius of Radonezh’s Church was consecrated in 1898 using the funds of the metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomenskoe. It was built in the Byzantine Revival style with a large central dome. In 1930 the church was closed and its bell tower was knocked down. During this period... Read more »

Saviour Church and Spasskoe Cemetery

  • 1 Ulitsa Puzakova (Spasskoe Cemetery)

In 1772 the Spasskoe Cemetery was opened on the outskirts of the city due to an outbreak of plague and a wooden church was erected here at the same time. In 1807 this wooden church was replaced by the present-day stone version. It was built in the standard... Read more »

Around Prospekt Lenina

Nikolai Beloborodov Memorial Museum

  • 16 Prospekt Lenina
  • 10:00 - 17:00. Closed on Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and the last Wednesday of the month.

Nikolai Beloborodov was born in Tula in 1912 and was an accordion player who went on to develop a special type of garmon (a Russian button accordion), which became known as the Tula garmon, and to organise the world's first orchestra of garmon players. The memorial museum was... Read more »

Ss Peter and Paul's Church

  • 30A Ulitsa Lenina

Ss Peter and Paul's Church was built between 1833 and 1838 to replace an earlier version of the church. In form it is slightly unusual as instead of the usual cube-building it comprises a dome with 12 windows on top of a rotunda. A bell tower was later... Read more »

Vikenti Veresaev House-Museum

  • 82 Ulitsa Gogolevskaya
  • 10:00 – 17:00. Closed on Sundays.

The Vikenti Veresaev House-Museum is located in the house where Veresaev was born and spent his childhood. Vikenti Veresaev was born as Vikenty Smidovich in Tula in 1867 and was a renowned Russian/Soviet writer and doctor. Veresaev served as a doctor during the Russo-Japan war and later wrote... Read more »

Ss Peter and Paul’s Roman Catholic Church

  • 85k2 Ulitsa Lva Tolstogo

Tula's Roman Catholic Church is dedicated to St Peter and to St Paul. The initiative to build a Catholic church came from Tula's small Catholic population, mainly immigrants from Poland and the Baltic. Permission was granted to build the church in 1893 and work on it started in... Read more »

All Saints Eparchial Cathedral and Vsekhsvyatskoe Cemetery

  • 79 Ulitsa Lva Tolstogo

After Catherine the Great banned burials in city centres, the Vsekhsvyatskoe Cemetery was founded in 1771 on what was then the outskirts of the city. The All Saints Cathedral was built for this cemetery between 1773 and 1776 in the classical style. A tall three-tiered bell tower was... Read more »

Belousov Central Park

Tula's central park of culture and rest is named after the doctor Pyotr Belousov who was born and lived in the Tula Governorate.  It is one of the largest parks in Europe.  The park is popular among locals and has several cafes, amusements and sporting venues, plus a... Read more »

Lev Tolstoy Monument

  • between 74 and 76 Prospekt Lenina

The great novelist Lev Tolstoy was born in 1828 at his family estate of Yasnaya Polyana which is located just outside Tula. This monument to Tolstoy was unveiled in 1973 and, as is fitting for the giant of Russian literature, this monument towers over you even though it... Read more »

Tula Regional Museum of Art

The Tula Regional Museum of Art was opened in 1919 and is one of the largest art galleries in Russia outside Moscow and St Petersburg. Originally its collection came from the Chamber of Antiquities which was started in 1884. In 1964 the museum moved to its present location.... Read more »

Hero City Monument

  • Ploschad Pobedy (next to 96 Ulitsa Lenina)

In 1976 Tula was awarded the title of Hero City of the Soviet Union for the heroism shown during the Second World War. Tula's position mean that the city was vital for the defence of Moscow and reinforcements were able to be brought into the capital in time... Read more »

East of the River Tupitsa

St Demetrius of Saloniki's Church and Chulkovskoe Cemetery

  • 1 Ulitsa Bakunina (Chulkovskoe Cemetery)

St Demetrius of Saloniki's Church was built between 1795 and 1801 to serve as the cemetery church of the Chulkovskoe Cemetery. Originally it was to be dedicated to the Holy Spirit but this was reconsidered to avoid the church being associated with the revelries which took place on... Read more »

St Theodosius of Chernigov's Church

  • 34A Ulitsa Kalinina

In 1894 a wooden church was built and dedicated to St Theodosius of Chernigov. In 1903 work started on replacing this church was a stone version, however all work was stopped in 1914 upon the outbreak of war. During the Soviet period the unfinished church was used as... Read more »

Porfiri Krylov Museum

  • 10 Ulitsa Kutuzova
  • 10:00 - 17:00. Closed on Sundays.

Porfiri Krylov was a Soviet artist who was born in the Tula Governorate in 1902. This museum was opened in 1995 in a converted cinema and displays over 250 paintings and watercolours by Krylov. Krylov was especially known for his illustrations and caricatures and was awarded the title... Read more »

Svyato-Bogorodichny Scheglovsky Monastery

The Svyato-Bogorodichny Scheglovsky Monastery was founded in 1859 using the funds of a Moscow merchant on the outskirts of Tula at the location of the archbishop's summer residence. Walls were built around the monastery which incorporated the monastery's first church - the Dormition Church - which was completed... Read more »

In Yasnaya Polyana

Lev Tolstoy Yasnaya Polyana Museum-Estate

The estate of Yasnaya Polyana is the place most connected with the great Russian author Lev Tolstoy who was born here, wrote most of his work here, died here and is buried here. It is of course an essential place to visit for fans of Tolstoy, but even... Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument ("Stalenin")

  • outside 17 Ulitsa Shkolnaya

On the side of Posolskaya Doroga opposite to the museum-estate, just behind the car park, is a school and outside this school there is what at first you might mistake for a bog-standard Lenin statue. However it is actually worth looking at as upon closer inspection you might... Read more »